Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The completely painted chair...

Of course you know I paint furniture...the wooden kind right?  I bet you didn't know I paint, and you can too, paint the upholstered/fabric part of furniture. I started this little project after my daughter painted a Queen Anne Craigslist find.  She used acrylic craft paint and Delta Textile medium.  However, I decided to use Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  Coco is my new favorite color and I knew it would look great on my chair's upholstery.  Here is the chair before I began.

I had purchased her for $20.00 at a barn sale last summer and had planned an reupholstering this little lady.   But, I just never got around to it.  So when my daughter painted her chair, I knew I had to paint my treasure.  
I began by misting a small section with water and then applying the paint.  I spayed and painted only a small section at a time. I had to rub the paint in by using a circular motion.  This is how she looked after the first coat of paint.
I knew right then, I would love  her new look.  
After I painted the bottom portion of chair, I decided it would be a time-saver to go ahead and paint the wood while the fabric was drying.  I used Pure White with a small amount of Coco added.
Finally all of the wood was painted.  I let her dry overnight and then added a second layer of paint to the fabric.  I sat her out in the sun and she dried within 30 minutes.  I then lightly sanded the fabric and then distressed the wooden part by heavier sanding.  Isn't she a beauty?

No comments:

Post a Comment