Friday, March 21, 2014

II found this dresser at a local antique shop and paid $35.00 for it.  The previous owner had made a feeble attempt to paint it, and I do mean feeble.  It was in rough shape.  After working on the poor paint job for a couple of hours, I decided it would have to be super shabby.  So I distressed it....a lot!  

However after the painting and distressing, I knew it needed something to perk it up.  I found the perfect graphic at www.thegraphicsfairy.com.  My next problem was how to make the image large enough and how to transfer it onto the dresser.  Once again, the graphics fairy website came to my rescue. I looked under the post called "14 dresser makeovers".  In the post there is a link to the website called posterblocks.com.  Just follow the directions for enlarging the image and how to transfer the image.  One thing the post didn't mention was the type of pen used for the final step.  After a few phone calls, I found out, she used a paint pen.  I used a black oil based one by Sharpee. I purchased a fine and medium point.  Once I had the image on the dresser, I lightly sanded the entire surface.  This gave it an aged look and removed the chalk residue left by the transfer method.  
I still have to get new drawer pulls.  Should I get glass pulls or something else?  I am not sure yet.  I will post new pics when I decide.  Isn't it divine?
This is the before pic.  Plain huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment